Friday 14 November 2014

Beauty // Drug Store Picks for Kylie Jenner Lips

Drug Store Picks for Kylie Jenner Lips
Having worked for several luxury beauty brands, a question I frequently get asked is "is high-end make up and skin care really worth the cash?" 

It's a tricky question to answer as everyone's skin is so different and colours are so challenging to match that I do feel everyone has to find what works best for them. Personally, while Chanel and MAC will always dominate my collection there are some high-street, mass market and drug store picks that I love and feel perform better than their high-end counterparts. Browsing the aisles in Boots and Superdrug is such a source of inspiration for me, as I feel mass market brands react so much more quickly to trends and the product range can be so much more diverse. 

The '90s throwback look made mainstream by a Kylie Jenner Inc. is, for me, a clear example of high street dominating. It is widely rumored that MAC Brave is her go-to lipstick shade, however I disagree, and have found alternatives on the high street that provide that matte, sultry, grungy look at a snip of a price: 


For me this is the closest match to Kylie's holy grail matte mauve/brown/nude shade. The pigment is so solid and it stays put like a dream. Also, I can't bear lipstick and gloss that is floral or heavily scented, but thankfully this is fragrance free. 

I use this along side my Sleek Matte Me Lip Cream - it's a brown-nude and provides the perfect base for an exaggerated '90s lip. 

A new player on the brow market - which has expanded as much as brows themselves (thanks Cara!). I LOVE this product. One end is a old-school brow pencil, but its really fine and really firm, so you can achieve perfect natural looking strokes without it blending. The other end features a fab brow powder to fill in any gaps and finish with a matte effect. A sell out for sure. 

I prefer this concealer to YSL Touch Eclat, Clinique Airbrush Concealer and MAC Studio Finish. And that's saying something. The amazing sponge end applicator makes me wonder how I ever lived without one and it provides the perfect level of natural "you-but-better" coverage. It sets with a matte finish. I use this not only around my dark eye area, but also around my nose and on blemishes when I want to go without foundation. 

What will you be trying?

-R-

No comments:

Post a Comment